I Want a Dog: My Opinion Essay (Paperback)
The Dog of His Dreams
When cousins Dennis and Mellie decide to get a dog, they consider carefully what breed would be best for each family. For example, Dennis wants a big dog, but Mellie wants tiny. He has no other pets, but she has other pets that a dog must get along with. They consider different dog personalities, family situations, and personal preferences. Dennis writes an opinion essay for his teacher, Mrs. Shirky. But will his essay convince his parents to get the dog of his dreams?
This story takes a popular subject-kids getting a pet-and adds dogs of all sizes and shapes: all writing lessons should be this much fun. In the end, it's cousins and the dogs that keep a reader turning the page. What kind of dog will Dennis choose? Will Mellie want the same kind of dog?
This story hits many notes:
- A family story about cousins, Dennis and Mellie
- Information on dog breeds
- Responsible dog ownership
- Mentor-text for teaching writing
- Model opinion essay for elementary students
- Models the writing process, especially the importance of pre-writing or planning before you write
- Completes the writing process by showing the results of Dennis's essay
I WANT A DOG almost makes opinion essays look too easy. But it works on many other levels, as well. Younger kids will be excited to learn the differences between dogs and will laugh at the antics of the dogs. Elementary kids will rejoice in a story of cousins (and will write the best essays ever ). A universal dream - a great pet - becomes an engaging writing lesson.
See other books in THE READ AND WRITE series:
- I Want a Cat: My Opinion Essay
- My Crazy Dog: My Narrative Essay
- My Dirty Dog: My Informative Essay (forthcoming)
WATCH DARCY PATTISON EXPLAIN HOW TO TEACH NARRATIVE WRITING
In this 20-minute video, watch author Darcy Pattison explain how to teach narrative writing with this book: mimshouse.com/writing-opinion-essays/